Dr Kirstin Ferguson is one of Australia’s leading company directors, author, creator of an international social media phenomenon and award winning expert on leadership, culture and diversity.
Kirstin is the Deputy Chair of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) and is a non-executive director on ASX listed and private company boards including SCA Property Group Ltd, EML Payments Ltd and Hyne Pty Ltd. She is also the Chair of the People and Remuneration Committees on each of these boards.
Kirstin has contributed to the community through numerous voluntary roles including having been a board member of Layne Beachley’s Foundation, SheStarts, Queensland Theatre Company, Queensland Rugby Union, a mentor with Science and Technology Australia’s Superstars of STEM program and she was the Chair of the Women’s Agenda Leadership Awards.
She was the creator of the Walkley Award nominated #CelebratingWomen campaign which became a viral social media movement. She is also the author of Women Kind, a book she co-wrote with Catherine Fox about unlocking the power of women supporting women.
Kirstin is an Adjunct Professor at the QUT School of Business. She has Honours degrees in Law and also History, as well as a PhD in corporate culture, leadership and governance for which she has received industry and academic awards. She is a Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors and a graduate of both the Company Director Course and International Company Director Course.
Kirstin is an advocate for gender diversity and equality in the workplace, she is a member of national and international women’s organisations including Chief Executive Women, Women Corporate Directors and the Women’s Leadership Institute of Australia.
Military Service: After joining the military at the age of 17, Kirstin graduated as Dux of her Air Force graduating class at the Australian Defence Force Academy. She was then posted to an F-111 Squadron, went on to study law and became admitted as a solicitor before becoming CEO of a global consulting business.
Honours and Awards:
Some of Dr Kirstin Ferguson’s awards include:
- 2018 – Queensland Award for Excellence in Women’s Leadership by Women & Leadership Australia
- 2017 – Finalist in the Walkley Foundation Our Watch Awards for Best Use of Social Media for #CelebratingWomen
- 2014 – Named by the Australian Financial Review as one of Australia’s 100 Women of Influence (Board & Management Category)
- 2015 – Awarded Dr Eric Wigglesworth Medal by Safety Institute of Australia
- 2012 – Awarded QUT Colin Brain Corporate Governance Fellowship
- 2012 – Awarded Australian Institute of Company Directors Talbot Foundation Scholarship
- 2005 – Awarded Brisbane Young Manager of the Year by Australian Institute of Management
- 2003 – Awarded Sir Winston Churchill Fellowship
- 1998 – Received the Australian Defence Medal
- 1993 – Awarded Chief of Defence Force Air Force prize as top graduating RAAF cadet at the Australian Defence Force Academy